Endangered animals are the animals that are in danger to become extinct. These animals can become extinct anytime due to some circumstances around them and due to change in the environment.
Human beings are the greatest threat to endangered species through hunting and poaching.
Many countries in the world have strict laws for conservation-reliant species: for example, forbidding hunting, restricting land development or creating protected areas. Population, numbers and Conservation list can be found in the list issued by the government.
Top 10 endangered animals
1. Amur Leopard
The Amur leopard is also known as Panthera pardus Orientalis.
Found– It is a leopard subspecies and can be found in south-eastern Asia and some parts of China.
Estimate- In 2015, only 19–27 wild leopards were estimated by the wildlife conservation team to be survived in southeastern Asia and some rare parts of china. Till now, it can be assumed that they are just on the extinction with the left of a few numbers of the same species.
Appearance- The Amur leopard is different from other leopard species by its thick and soft fur which makes them really different from the leopard species. The fur becomes pale and cream-colored especially in the season of winters.
Gorillas are ground animals, pure herbivores.
Found- Gorillas are found in the forests of sub-Saharan Africa.
Species– The gorillas can be divided into further two species: Eastern gorilla and western gorilla and both of them are critically endangered.
Appearance- These are the most giant living animals. They have no tails and jet black skin. They have dark hairs all over the body except the face, ears, hands, and feet. They have a huge body and have a lot of strength. They usually live in groups called troops.
3. Sea Turtles
Sea turtles are also known as marine turtles. They belong to the reptile species.
Found- These can be found in all the oceans except the polar regions. Mainly it can be found on the northern coast of Australia, Mexico and some parts of the united states.
Species- There are four species of the sea turtle- Green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle, olive ridley sea turtle, and flatback sea turtle.
Appearance- Green sea turtles have streamlined shell or carapace, which covers their whole body except the face, legs, and tail.
The name orangutan is derived from the Malay and the Indonesian words orang which means “person”, and hutan means “forest”, that is also known as the “person of the forest.”
Found- These are currently found in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra.
Species- There are two species of orangutan – Bornean orangutan and Sumatran Orangutan.
Appearance- orangutan has a very large and heavy body. They have a thick neck, Strong arms, short legs and have no tail.
5. Sumatran Elephant
The Sumatran elephant is one of the three recognized subspecies of the Asian elephant.
Found- They are found on the Indonesian island of sumatra.
Appearance- They have the highest body point on the head. The tip of their trunk has one finger pointed. Their back is convex in shape.
The tiger is among the most recognizable and popular of the world’s cat family. The tiger is also the national animal of many countries like India, Bangladesh, Malaysia, and South Korea.
Found- These are found in many regions of the world like India, China, Malaysia, and many Asian countries.
Species- There are many types of tiger-like Bengal tiger, Capsican tiger, Siberian tiger, south china tiger, etc.
Appearance- The tiger has a muscular body with powerful legs used for running fast and a long tail. They also have patches on their bodies of black color. They have yellow pigments on their bodies with soft and smooth fur.
The word rhinoceros is derived through Latin from the Ancient Greeks. They have a Herbivores diet and generally eat leafy material.
Found- These are found in Africa and Southern Aisa.
Species- The types of rhinoceros are- White rhinoceros, Black rhinoceros, Indian rhinoceros, Javan rhinoceros, Sumatran rhinoceros.
Appearance- Rhinos have a tough body which is very hard and has an immense body and large head, a short neck and broad chest.
The saola is also called as siola, and is one of the world’s rarest large mammals. It is also related to cattle and goats.
Found- These are only found in the Annamite Range of Vietnam and Laos.
Species- They do not have any species.
Appearance- The saola has round pupils with dark-brown irises that appear orange when light is shone into them. They have a horn on their head which is very unique.
The vaquita is a species of fish that is on the verge of extinction. The scientific description of the species was published in 1958. They are also known as Desert Porpoise.
Found- They are found in the northern part of the Gulf of California.
Species- Vaquitas are the smallest and most endangered species.
Appearance- The species is distinguishable by the dark rings surrounding their eyes, patches on their lips, and a line that extends from their dorsal fins to their mouths.
10. Giant panda
The giant panda is also known as a panda bear. The giant panda lives in a few mountain ranges. Giant pandas in the wild will occasionally eat other grasses, wild tubers, or even meat in the form of birds, rodents, or carrion.
Found- These are found in the mountain ranges of southeastern China.
Species- There are two types of species – white panda and red panda.
Appearance- The giant panda has luxuriant black-and-white fur. It has black fur on its ears, eye patches, muzzle, legs, arms, and shoulders. The rest of the animal’s coat is white
Top 10 Facts for Endangered Animals: You will be shocked!!
- An endangered species are those species whose numbers are very less and on the edge of extinction.
- An endangered species is defined as threatened to be very less when it comes close to these factors: a lot of damage to the habitat of the animals, disease of the species caused to them and hazards to the day to day life of the species.
- A species can be declared extinct when it not seen by anyone in the last few years. Because it takes a lot of time to find the species, it can be possible that many species might be extinct which are unaware now and get to know later.
- Animals Conservation organization and Rangers are taking many steps to conserve and stop to become some of the world’s most endangered species like tigers, elephants, and bears.
- Extinction is a natural phenomenon, It usually occurs at a defined rate as one to five species per year but nowadays it is increasing like dozens of extinction in a week which is very harmful to our wildlife and can be harmful to human life too.
- About 30-40 percent of the species are heading towards to become extinct by the mid-century.
- About 95% of the species are getting threatened due to human activities like deforestation, poaching, Global warming which is the main cause of the extinction of the animals.
- The Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA) protects registered endangered species by removing them from the “take” list, which makes it unlawful for a person to shoot, harm, capture, trap, or attempt any such actions to the species.
- The World Wildlife Protection Organisation is taking some steps to save the species which helps in sustaining the other species. They are taking steps to save like giant pandas, whales, rhinos, and big cats.
- Freshwater ecosystems are home to more than 100,000 known species of plants and animals and are now one of the most endangered habitats in the world as a result of human development, pollution, and climate change.
Want to learn more about the topic? or For any suggestions.
Please drop your valuable comments I will surely get back to you.